This Is IGAD

UI_LoadingScreen_BGBlockC.png
xOABiN.png

Note: this is a school project. All rights reserved to the NHTV Breda. 

Primary Role: Associate Producer
Secondary Role: Audio Designer
Project duration: 8 weeks
Team size: 13
Release date: 29-6-18
Release platform: itch.io
Game genre: Applied gaming

About: This Is IGAD is a 4-player local coop experience, designed with applied principles in mind. The game is meant to educate newly enrolled students of the NHTV's IGAD program about the basics of said program. We chose to focus on the core lesson of ''reflecting on your work as a team'', since we felt this was very much part of the education in all of the blocks.

Tasks on the project:

  • Managing the project scope.

  • Executing sprints, stand-ups and sprint reviews.

  • Managing team communication & dependencies.

  • Managing production pipelines.

  • Managing and mitigating risks via Risk Analysis.

  • Analyzing and managing sprint velocity.

  • Creating a vision for audio.

  • Creating audio design documents.

  • Audio asset creation.

For more information on the game and a chance to download the latest build, click the button below.


Project responsibilities

The following section describes some of my key tasks on the project - as briefly listed in the section above - in more detail, all the while providing examples of my work and documentation to look at for those who are interested. 


Managing Project Scope & Pipelines

Over the course of the block, my main responsibility was of course managing the project scope and the many dependencies the project brought with it. For the dependencies, I kept a daily list of possible dependencies for work done that day and analysed everyone's pipelines, while for scope I frequently updated my Scope Breakdown and product backlog in Jira. 
Scoping was a major success within this project. We managed to deliver on almost all of our original goals, with a few slight exceptions such as more complicated level hazards. The fact that we had less work to cut was directly correlated with the way I set up the scoping: I scoped very much towards a Minimum Viable Product, instead of a full product. This way, the work load remained manageable for 8 weeks while still providing stakeholders with a solid and complete product in the end. 

With the buttons below, you can download my Scope Breakdown Excel document, High Level Planning document, and my Project Pipelines document. 

 Excerpt from one of my pipelines, in this case the audio pipeline.

Excerpt from one of my pipelines, in this case the audio pipeline.


Agile Scrum

Throughout the project, I was in charge of spreading the scrum methodology through the team, leading stand-up and sprint review meetings and analyzing general sprint velocity. I chose to go with an approach that allowed for less overhead on my part, with a physical scrum board that anyone from the team could change and manage and spokespersons for each disciplines to handle additional tasks.
I made several improvements to my way of analyzing data as well. The built-in tools in Jira were good on the side for this, but my main source of analysis was the Burndown Chart I created. This document was focused on ease of use, with burndowns being done per person on a project daily-basis to ensure maximum data usage. 

With the buttons below, you can download my Burndown Chart Excel document and the document I used to detail my structure for scrum in this project.

 Graphic showcasing the details regarding my physical scrum board.

Graphic showcasing the details regarding my physical scrum board.


Audio Design

Video showcasing the finalized audio sound scape for a 2-player round of This Is IGAD.

I was in charge of audio design for this project, and in the end I was responsible for creating all of the sound effects and ambient sounds you hear during gameplay, aside from the music (which was created by Christopher Bandura, our Product Owner).
I started off the project with extensive audio research and design outlines for all sound to be featured in the game, after which I scoped my own audio assets and assessed priorities. All of the higher priority sounds ended up making it into the final build and were iterated upon throughout the course of the project. Additionally, I did the audio mixing and most of the concurrency set-up in Unreal myself. 
All in all, the sound created for this block closely resembles the original high level vision for the game's audio and fits in with the game theming well, creating a well-balanced soundscape for the final build. 

With the button below, you can download my Audio Design document.